Responsible for overall operation and direction of the Resource Center. Plans, develops, administers, and provides information services and resources for current and projected administrative, educational, managerial, marketing, research, and strategic planning needs to support Joint Commission products, services, and initiatives. Plans, develops, and manages the acquisition, cataloging, organization, maintenance, and availability of various print, non-print, and electronically-accessed resources. Furnishes accurate, timely complete, and relevant information and resources to facilitate staff decision making and problem solving.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops, implements, and administers policies and procedures related to library operations, acquisition of materials, circulation, inter-library loan, and research work. Monitors and participates in the daily operations of circulation, documents delivery, inter-library loans, and collection of statistics.
2. Investigates, develops, and implements new information services, systems, and programs to meet changing staff information needs.
3. Prepares, analyzes, and administers the library budget. Controls expenditures and maximizes resources within fiscal constraints.
4. Plans, develops, and manages the acquisition of a basic collection of materials and resources in anticipation of staff needs.
5. Plans, develops, and manages the services provided by the Resource Center, and prepares regular reports on acquisitions, circulation, document delivery, operations, and general administration of the Resource Center.
6. Solicits, receives, analyzes, selects, and executes recommendations for new or refined information services/materials.
7. Interviews, hires, and (when necessary) disciplines and discharges subordinate personnel. Establishes standards for effective job performance and evaluates subordinates according to such standards. Coordinates and recommends educational programs for staff, including orientation, training, and development. Provides training to staff in such tasks as answering reference questions, conducting information interviews, and acquiring necessary information. Plans and conducts library staff meetings as necessary.
8. Participates in local and national level professional associations to discuss and act on library developments.
9. Develops and maintains effective relationships with local public private, special, and university libraries to expand and supplement the Resource Center’s collection via inter-library loans. Monitors and processes all inter-library loans and document delivery services related to loans.
10. Works closely with various other staff members to provide information needs through on-line and manual literature searches, acquisitions, abstractions, and retrieval of information.
11. Reviews trade publications and other information sources, interviews publisher and vendor representatives, and consults with other colleagues in selecting materials and equipment for purchase.
12. Provides manual and on-line literature searches for information needs of the staff.
13. Produces bi-weekly current awareness service, Resources, by scanning current literature and abstracting articles of particular interest to Joint Commission board and staff.
14. Develops, monitors, and maintains the cataloging and classification systems for accessing of materials and resources in the Resource Center.
15. Orients staff members to the Resource Center and on the use of reference materials for research.
16. Keeps current on developments in library science through attendance at continuing education courses, annual and special library and medical library conferences and seminars, as well as participation in professional activities and review of appropriate journals/literature.
KNOWLEDGE, PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. The description is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities, and working conditions associated with this position. All requirements are subject to possible modification due to business needs and/or reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.