Oversees strategic planning for all assigned content generated or acquired by department, including domestic and international accreditation and certification standards, accreditation readiness strategies and case studies, and health care quality and safety content. This content is primarily delivered in digital format—e-products, mobile platforms, e-books, digital newsletters, and subscription-based digital portals--but is also available in print on demand. Plans, allocates resources, and directs content development of all assigned digital publications. Reviews all assigned content to ensure readability, accuracy, and consistency with corporate policies, procedures, initiatives, strategic goals, and Joint Commission standards. Monitors and ensures profitability of assigned products. Manages digital content development/editorial staff working on assigned digital content.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for strategic planning, identification, maintenance, and maximization of current and new revenue-generating digital content, including domestic and international accreditation and certification standards, accreditation readiness strategies and case studies, and health care quality and safety content. Tracks health care and digital publishing trends relevant to JCR and The Joint Commission’s missions and strategic objectives; monitors and evaluates competitor products; anticipates field needs; and recommends and implements new strategies and products as appropriate, including media selection.
- Working with the Executive Director and AD, Digital Publications counterpart, develops long-term and short-term goals and objectives for the department related to content development and media expansion beyond text to infographics, video, and audio. Determines front, back, and kill lists of digital content; provides projection of digital publication titles and dates, revenue, and expenses; and monitors sales and profitability of all digital content and products emanating from the department. Ensures profitability of assigned products.
- Serves as editorial content expert for the department; reviews all assigned content to ensure readability, accuracy, and consistency with The Joint Commission standards, initiatives, policies and procedures, strategic plans and goals, and current trends. Ensures all assigned digital publications and digital publishing processes are aligned with future JCR and Joint Commission initiatives.
- Establishes a master digital content development and acquisitions schedule for all assigned content. Reviews and monitors content development and acquisition schedules, tracks projects from conception through release/publication, communicates digital content development status and needs to appropriate department management and other staff, and coordinates publication/release with production management and staff.
- Participates in JCR and Joint Commission teams as appropriate to provide professional digital publishing expertise, project management and product development skills, and content expertise.
- Evaluates all digital content proposals, financial models, contracts, and manuscripts to ensure profitability, accuracy, appropriateness, and sound business practices. Authorizes contracts and payments for freelancers.
- Identifies opportunities for increasing market penetration of digital publications in cooperation with Marketing, Communications, Fulfillment/E-commerce, Business Development, Sales, and other staff. Ensures that Marketing and Communications receive timely, accurate information about new products; approves marketing and press release copy. Ensures that ecommerce webstore is updated as appropriate and includes accurate information about digital content for purchase. Ensures that all digital publications meet Net Promoter Score targets.
- Assumes responsibility for hiring, orienting, managing, evaluating, promoting, and/or terminating digital content development/editorial staff.