Directs, with the supervision of the Executive Director, Strategic Alliances, the state and payer relations functions, including the pursuit and attainment of accreditation and certification recognitions, with both state regulatory agencies and private/public health plans. This position also cultivates new and nurtures existing relationships with designated external audiences, including healthcare provider associations, state governmental agencies and health plans. Support the Executive Vice President and Executive Directors in all aspects of state government, payer and provider association management. Supervises the activities of the manager, state relations and manager, payer relations. Provides formal education and information to internal and external audiences, including state hospital associations and field staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs the state legislative function, including monitoring and disseminating information about the status of state legislative and regulatory initiatives related to The Joint Commission’s mission and strategic business objectives.
- In conjunction with Executive Directors, oversees the identification of legislative, regulatory and policy opportunities and barriers at the state and federal level for facilitating Joint Commission accreditation and certification, and prepares comprehensive state strategic and tactical plans. Conducts state lobbying on legislative and regulatory matters.
- In conjunction with Executive Directors, oversees the identification of health plan recognition opportunities and barriers with public and private health plans/payers for facilitating Joint Commission accreditation and certification, and prepares comprehensive payer strategic and tactical plans. Engages with health plan leadership in pursuit of recognition opportunities.
- Identifies and informs supervisor, executive directors, and other department staff of urgent situations, pending detrimental legislation, regulation or payer policies adverse to the Joint Commission’s interest, and intervenes to remedy.
- Maintains and cultivates liaison relationships with key external audiences. Specifically works with state hospital associations to facilitate regular conference calls, and delivers in-person and webinar-based educational sessions at state hospital association-sponsored meetings.
- Coordinates, plans, and serves as facilitator of an annual in-person meeting of state hospital association representatives.
- Supervises the activities of all state and payer relations staff.
- Directs the transmission of organization-specific accreditation information to state regulatory agencies pursuant to contracts and the Public Information Policy.
- Directs and oversees the publication of a state legislative/regulatory activity report, which is updated monthly to reflect the progression of identified bills and regulations from introduction through adoption.
- Works directly with the executive vice president and other divisional leaders as a special project manager for BDGER, as directed, including but not limited to the facilitation of research and special tracking projects as requested.
- Develops, reviews and implements legal/contractual agreements with state regulatory agencies and payers/health plans, in conjunction with the Department of Legal Affairs.