Oversees strategic planning for manuals, books, and print and online periodicals. Plans, allocates resources, and directs content development of all publications as well as electronic products as appropriate. Reviews all published content to ensure readability, accuracy, and consistency with corporate policies, procedures, initiatives, strategic goals, and Joint Commission standards. Monitors and ensures profitability of products. Manages all editorial staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for strategic planning, identification, maintenance, and maximization of current and new manual, book, and periodical/subscription revenue sources. Tracks health care trends relevant to JCR and The Joint Commission’s missions and strategic objectives; monitors and evaluates competitor products; anticipates field needs; and recommends and implements new strategies and products as appropriate, including media selection. Oversees content development for select electronic products, as appropriate and assigned.
- Develops long-term and short-term goals and objectives for the department related to publication development. Determines front, back, and kill lists; provides projection of publication titles and dates, revenue, and expenses; and monitors sales and profitability of all publications.
- Serves as editorial content expert for the department; reviews all publications to ensure readability, accuracy, and consistency with The Joint Commission standards, initiatives, policies and procedures, strategic plans and goals, and current trends. Ensures products and processes are aligned with future JCR and Joint Commission initiatives.
- Establishes a master editorial schedule for all manuals, books, and periodicals. Reviews and monitors development schedules, tracks projects from conception through publication, communicates editorial status and needs to appropriate management and other staff, and coordinates publication with production management and staff.
- Participates in JCR and Joint Commission teams as appropriate to provide professional publishing expertise, project management and product development skills, and content expertise.
- Evaluates all manual, book, and periodical proposals, financial models, contracts, and manuscripts to ensure profitability, accuracy, appropriateness, and sound business practices. Authorizes contracts and payments for freelancers.
- Identifies opportunities for increasing market penetration of publications in cooperation with Marketing and other staff. Ensures that Marketing and Communications receive timely, accurate information about new products; approves marketing and press release copy.
- Assumes responsibility for hiring, orienting, managing, evaluating, promoting, and/or terminating editorial staff.