To advance and enhance through effective media relations the mission, programs, reputation, goals, and policies of The Joint Commission enterprise as established by the Board of Commissioners, the president and major operating divisions. This position is responsible for all aspects of enterprise media relations including developing media plans; coordinating regular flow of information to news media; researching, writing, editing and issuing news communications; identifying and proactively pitching stories; responding to inquiries from news media; monitoring and providing media reports; and managing all associated media projects, internal education and processes in conjunction with the Media & Communications Manager.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an ongoing media relations program that increases public understanding of Joint Commission enterprise programs and leadership in health care quality improvement, and advances strategic, business and reputational needs and goals. Actively identify media opportunities and proactively pitch key topics and stories on an ongoing basis.
- Build and maintain positive and productive relationships with key news media and internal stakeholders, coordinating information flow and updates.
- Respond to and log all inquiries from news media, coordinating with appropriate staff to provide information that is accurate and aligned with all policies, procedures and practice. Coordinate all necessary arrangements for interview and/or filming requests from media and outside agencies. Provide coaching, training, messaging direction and support to designated enterprise spokespersons/interview subjects
- Lead the coordination of special media events including the planning and arranging of press conferences/briefings and the scheduling of editorial visits to key news media. Prepare and brief spokespersons to participate in these events.
- Research, write, edit and disseminate news releases, op-eds and letters, placed articles, press kit materials, advisories, briefs and other communications for news media and external audiences. Manage media lists, all enterprise news releases, and the news release schedule
- Develop, update and maintain news release templates and guidance to enterprise Marketing for publicity kits to accredited and certified organizations.
- Monitor media and track placements and key mentions. Maintain media dashboard for primary media activities, metrics and outcomes. Evaluate analytics and identify trends for internal improvement and external visibility opportunities on an ongoing basis
- Leverage media communications and build media relationships through The Joint Commission’s media relations profile on Twitter. This includes directly managing the media relations Twitter account and providing news content for official enterprise social platforms.
- Develop and maintain media/news content on official Joint Commission web pages and the enterprise’s internal communications portal. Provide media content for the internal employee newsletter and other communications as requested or opportunities to promote are identified
- In conjunction with the Media & Communications Manager, develop, maintain and/or implement media processes, guidelines and resources including fact sheets, response. language and talking points on an ongoing basis. Identify and address needs, and educate enterprise staff on media relations and use of these resources
- Represent the Department of Corporate Communications at various committee meetings including accreditation committee, standards and survey procedures committee, and departmental work groups as necessary
- Establish and maintain personal contact and memberships with appropriate media organizations, public relations societies and/or health/hospital organizations
- Provide communications counsel and services to Joint Commission enterprise staff.
- Work with Manager, Associate Director, Director and other staff members in implementing emergency plans during or after normal work hours.
- Manage projects and other duties as assigned.