Provides on-site consultation, education, and technical assistance to domestic hospitals and health care systems to assist in improving patient care, quality, and safety. Collaborates with Joint Commission Resources Central Office staff (based in Oak Brook, IL) and colleagues to generate leads, develop proposals, and pursue to close the sale of consultations and other Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International services. Maintains active/current knowledge of Joint Commission Standards/Joint Commission International Standards and survey process, as well as health care- and discipline-specific trends and content, established solutions for the improvement of patient care. Serves as Joint Commission Resources subject matter expert for specific methodologies and product lines. Creatively approaches client organizations with solutions to improve the delivery of patient care and operations.
Comprehensive knowledge of Joint Commission Standards Standards and survey process required. Ten or more years of experience in health care, with seven to ten years of progressively more responsible experience in senior health care management or quality/performance improvement. Maintains current and relevant knowledge of health care issues and strategies. Experience in a health care consulting role is highly desirable. Preferred candidates have performance improvement experience in settings over 250 beds and/or those with strong standards knowledge in applicable Joint Commission program. Excellent communication skills as exhibited through professional involvement in leadership roles, teaching, consulting, or relevant publications. Written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively present information and ideas in proposals, reports, and presentations. 100% travel required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides exceptional on- and off-site consultation and education to domestic/international health care organizations or other clients, emphasizing practical approaches in the application of The Joint Commission and/or Joint Commission International standards as well as technical assistance in general health care operations improvement.
- Identifies the unique needs of client organizations and tailors consulting services/engagements (type, scope, etc.) accordingly. Responsible for new and current business development (to a defined expectation) inclusive of client relationship management, lead generation, assistance in proposal development, and sale of Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International products and services. Maintains and grows client relationships through ongoing communications and a systematic process for client follow-up.
- If requested to perform as Team Leader, leads a team of consultants to deliver a client engagement that is comprehensive, achieves client expectations, and is successful at executing all contracted deliverables in a timely and quality manner. In this capacity articulates all interventions with the Managing Consultant and appropriate Client Services Manager at The Joint Commission and/or Joint Commission International Central Office and completes all necessary follow up activities for client.
- Consistently prepares well-articulated and focused written consultation reports aimed toward senior health care executives. Obtains feedback from Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International clients regarding the quality of services and deliverables and actively makes improvements therein.
- Promotes Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International products and services through public speaking engagements and representation at high profile national and/or international conferences/meetings/conventions and/or at Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International sponsored seminars and conferences as requested. As applicable, may serve as the key contact for a state hospital association related to contract deliverables and/or coordinate educational workshops. Writes and/or reviews papers/chapters/case studies/articles for publication or for Joint Commission Resource and/or Joint Commission International journals or newsletters, as requested.
- Actively participates in professional development activities, such as training, webinars, audio conferences, and other relevant education programs to stay abreast of current The Joint Commission and/or Joint Commission International policies, products, services, standards, and survey processes, as well as consultative skills as appropriate. Proactively executes on a continuous development plan through the pursuit of performance discussions, feedback, and learning opportunities for growth.
- Participates on committees, task forces, and/or teams in the design, testing, evaluation, and redesign of Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International consulting and education products and services, business processes, and various initiatives as assigned. Actively shares innovations, creative strategies and experiences with colleagues. Develops educational materials for use in revenue generating opportunities when requested.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism and integrity in all aspects of one’s work, inclusive of the timely and accurate submission of engagement deliverables, time tracking, expense reimbursement, sales justification, and other necessary operational details required for the consulting position. Models a spirit of quality and collaboration across Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International services and with all colleagues. Participates in the training and mentoring of consultants when requested.